British Columbia Arbitration and Mediation Institute
Arbitration and mediation are an integral part of the legal process in Canada upon which society
can rely for dispute resolution.
Arbitrators and mediators undertake serious responsibilities not only to the parties involved in a
dispute, but also to the general public. These responsibilities include ethical obligations.
This Code has been established to provide ethical guidelines for the conduct of arbitrators and
mediators and applies to all members of the British Columbia Arbitration and Mediation Institute.
CODE OF ETHICS
This Code is applicable to all members of the Institute in their capacity as arbitrators and
mediators generally and in their undertaking of an arbitration or mediation appointment
1. A Member shall uphold and abide by the Rules of Conduct, regulations and other
professional requirements adopted by the Institute.
2. A Member shall not carry on any activity or conduct which could reasonably be
considered as conduct unbecoming a member of the Institute.
3. A Member shall uphold the integrity and fairness of the arbitration and mediation process.
4. A Member shall ensure that the parties involved in an arbitration or mediation are
fairly informed and have an adequate understanding of the procedural aspects of the
process and of their obligations to pay for services rendered.
5. A Member shall satisfy him/herself that he/she is qualified to undertake and complete
an appointment in a professional manner.
6. A Member shall disclose any interest or relationship likely to affect impartiality or
which might create an appearance of partiality or bias.
7. A Member, in communicating with the parties, shall avoid impropriety or the
appearance of impropriety.
8. A Member shall conduct all proceedings fairly and diligently, exhibiting independence
9. A Member shall be faithful to the relationship of trust and confidentiality inherent in
the office of arbitrator or mediator.
10. A Member shall conduct all proceedings related to the resolution of a dispute in
accordance with applicable law.